Monday, September 15, 2014

A Great New Find: Marietta Reclamation

If you're an artist, chances are you enjoy putting your own unique stamp on your home's decor as much as you enjoy expressing yourself on canvas. If you're like me, you love poking around in thrift stores and yard sales. They're often great sources for items that can be revived and given new life with a bit of paint and elbow grease.

The thrill of the hunt

I've found all kinds of treasures at these places. And I visit them regularly, always on the prowl for something that fits in with the look I want for my home -- probably best described as Quirky Eclectic with a touch of Shabby Chic .

So when my friend Pat lured me away from the studio recently with the suggestion that we go check out a new architectural salvage company in Marietta, I could hardly contain my excitement. I positively adore architectural salvage companies (oh, the many uses for all those magnificent old doors, corbels, pediments and light fixtures...!!!)

Salvage Salivation Syndrome

When we walked through the door of Marietta Reclamation, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Before I could remove my sunglasses I had spotted at least half a dozen items that would look sensational in my house and on my porch. Unless I exercised extreme self-control, I was in danger of impoverishing myself in under 10 minutes.

A massive pine drafting table immediately caught my eye. Good thing my studio is too small to accommodate such a substantial piece, but oh, how readily I envisioned myself as its new owner. Dozens of marble slabs, many of which had gorgeous colors and patterns, also grabbed my attention. Now I know where to get a slab to use as the top for the potting bench I've always wanted.

Had I been looking for old doors, I'd have had plenty to choose from, in every size and style. Old doors can be turned into so many useful things -- tables, room dividers, headboards. Oh yes, I will definitely consider turning one of them into a headboard for the bed in the guest room. Beyond the doors I saw columns that would have been gracious additions to my entryway. Heck, just standing one up in a corner of the living room would be such an eye-catching accent...! And that planter made with salvaged wood? I could just see it on the corner of my front porch, spilling over with cheerful red geraniums.

Yes indeed, my brain is constantly whirling with images straight from the pages of This Old House, Southern Living and HGTV Magazine. My home isn't big enough to contain all the projects I want to do, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming and drooling over what I see in these magazines. I want it all. I want my house to look like all of those houses. I think I might need an intervention.

Uh-oh, there goes my willpower

These shutters from Marietta Reclamation will soon become a part of my home's decor. To the right are a garden topiary and an old wrought iron patio table, both thrift store finds.    Image ©2014 Lynn Edwards

 

When I got to the shutters, my resolve crumbled. I have a thing for shutters. And sitting right there was a pair of chippy painted vintage shutters perfect for flanking a mirror over my mantel. I had envisioned them in my mind's eye for years, and here they were. I just had to have those shutters. Pat and I measured them and I called Hubs to see if they'd fit. Yes, they would. The price was more than reasonable for their size ($43 for the pair, each of which measures 41x16 inches), and they were in great shape to boot. SOLD!!! Those babies were going home with me to start their new life in the Edwards' hacienda.


If you're into architectural salvage, you'll love exploring Marietta Reclamation. It's tucked away just south of the Square at 52-B Powder Springs Street, just a few doors down from the Murray House.You may have to drive around the block a time or two to get a parking space, but it's worth the effort. (Call 404-556-3127 for store hours; at present they're open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday only.) Owners Deanie and Gordon Brans offer an inventory that offers plenty of dream fodder. So much to see, so many possibilities! Bring your wish list -- you're guaranteed to find something here that brings your decorating dreams to life.

 Text and image ©2014 Lynn Edwards








No comments:

Post a Comment