Friday, November 6, 2015

Merci! Suddenly I'm into Curves!

French curves, that is. Earlier I posted this small painting (it's roughly 2 1/2 x 6 inches) which I had created using a plastic drafting tool that makes curves, circles, arcs, angles and other cool shapes. As you can tell from the picture below, I sure had fun with it!

Geometric I                       ©2015 Lynn Edwards
When Geometric I was finished, I considered cutting it up into pieces to use for pendants, but ultimately I decided to leave it intact. It's now available online through my Daily Paintworks gallery and my Etsy shop, Playing With Colors.

To obtain a similar piece for the pendants, I created a second painting using most of the same colors. Stupid me, I failed to take a photo of Geometric II before cutting it into four pieces. The photo below shows the four pendants I made from Geometric II, along with several others that will be available for purchase after November 16:


By this time I was on a roll. I was having so much fun experimenting with this device that I wanted to expand on the concept. So I decided to order a set of French curves that I found on the internet.

Well, ooh la la! These puppies turned out to be just too much fun! Here's the first painting I did using them:

"Untitled", acrylic and ink on 7 1/2 x 8" wood panel  ©2015 Lynn Edwards
Besides experimenting with this new toy, I had another motive for painting this abstract: evaluating several different brands of acrylic paints. I test drove four different products, all acrylics, none of which I had ever used before. The results? Well, let's just say that my hands down favorites remain acrylics made by Golden and Holbein. When it comes to coverage, smooth application and pigment load, these two brands are unsurpassed, in my opinion.

I might change my mind, but for now I think I'll hang onto this piece. After days and days of rain, with more rain to come, I need something bright and cheerful to look at each morning!

Text and images ©2015 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment