Friday, January 16, 2015

Returning to My Studio, Finally!

The holidays are over, the new year began two more than two weeks ago, and I'm still fighting off the lingering effects of a respiratory infection that's been hanging on since the last week of December.

An easy project like making notecards can jumpstart creativity after a long absence from the studio 

There's nothing like feeling profoundly crummy to remind me of just how precious every moment of studio time is. Wrapped up in a blanket with throbbing sinuses, a hacking cough, and surrounded by a mountain of tissues, I wanted soooo badly to be well enough to go to my studio. Instead, all I could do was reach for the Kleenex and give in to an overwhelming desire to sleep.

Eventually I began to feel a little bit better. But recovery from the Creeping Crud (don't you love my scientific name for it?) has been frustratingly slow. This past week I enjoyed my first full day in the studio since New Years Eve. It felt wonderful to finally make some art! But it wasn't an entirely smooth process. I felt a little rusty. So I eased back into my routine by starting with something simple: making notecards. That's all it took to get totally back in the groove. Feeling better than I had in weeks, I then started a large abstract. It's not finished yet but it will be soon. And there are many more projects on my drawing board. I can hardly wait to get to them. It feels so good to be back!

Text and image ©2015 Lynn Edwards



No comments:

Post a Comment