Sunday, February 15, 2015

Make Gelli Prints, not Lemonade!

The huge winter storm that has been clobbering states to our north is now on Georgia's doorstep. My friend Kathy and I had planned to paint together in her studio tomorrow, but now it looks like that's not going to happen. When the Atlanta area gets ice and snow, the very last place you want to be is out in your car. If you don't slide off into a ditch, chances are you'll be slammed into by another driver.

So for the next few days I'll be "working" in my own studio making Gelli prints! The new 8x10 inch Gelli Plate I bought last month is one of the very neatest art tools I've ever used. Using it is pure play.

Unlike homemade gelatin plates, which quickly disintegrate and require refrigeration, the Gelli Plate is a permanent material that requires no refrigeration at all. To use it, you simply brayer on a layer of color, add patterns using stencils, soft tip mark making tools etc., and pull your prints. When you're done, just wipe it clean with a damp paper towel or baby wipe. Or clean it using soap and water. No muss, no fuss, no bother.

I used my Gelli Plate to make many of the papers for the series of mirrors I've just completed (now available through 2Rules at $90 each). Making those papers with the Gelli Plate was so much fun and they turned out great!

My supply of collage papers is running low so for the next couple of days, while ice and snow keep me home-bound, I'll be immersing myself in Gelli printing to build up my stash. It's an opportunity to replenish a much needed supply as I watch the snow fall...or the ice form, whichever. So my motto for this week is "When life hands you lemons, make Gelli prints!"

©2015 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment