Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

OMG, it's St. Patrick's Day! I've been so busy the past couple of weeks I wasn't paying much attention to the calendar. So it has caught me totally by surprise -- a shameful admission from someone whose ancestors came from Counties Clare and Tipperary. They're probably rolling over in their graves right now.

In my family, growing up, we always had Irish soda bread on St. Patrick's Day. And it was always delicious. Unfortunately I've never mastered the family recipe. Whenever I've tried making it (and I have tried many times) the result has always been a brick-like lump that even the dog refused to eat.

So now that I've owned up to being a lousy Irish breadmaker, my only other option is to wear something green today to show affection for my ancestral homeland. And I have just the ticket: a bright emerald green t-shirt with "Ireland" and "1924 Lansdowne Road Dublin Football Championship" on the front. It's unmistakably Irish. It's a bit large on me, but who cares? I am Irish, and I've got to celebrate St. Pat's somehow. So I'll "wear the green" today with pride. If I want some edible Irish soda bread, I'll stop by a bakery.

©2015 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment