Saturday, November 11, 2017

4x6 Cards Do Double Duty

It's great when you can kill two birds with one stone. (Not literally, of course. I love birds and would never harm one.) Nope, I'm speaking of art rendered on 140 lb. watercolor paper cut to 4x6 inches.

I draw, paint, collage and doodle on these 4x6 cards in my spare time. My primary purpose for them is to work out potential compositions and color selections for large future paintings. They're small "studies," if you will. Once completed, I scan each one and store the image on my computer's hard drive for future reference.

A 4x6 "study" turned into a notecard. I sell these art cards in my Etsy shop.
Then I affix the piece of original art to the front of a blank 5x7" note card, re-scan it, and list it for sale in the Art Cards section of my Etsy shop. A clear, acid free bag protects the card and its matching envelope. The recipient not only receives a thoughtful message from the sender, the card can be framed to be enjoyed for years.

Here's a couple of framed "studies" made with my own hand painted collage papers:






I just love it when something I create serves a dual purpose. It saves both time and effort -- and the birds are happy too.

Text and images ©2017 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment