Saturday, December 8, 2018

More Mosaic Madness

It's done! My tabletop mosaic project is finally ready to be varnished! It has taken so much longer than I thought it would to get to this point -- it seems like I've been working on this thing for years. Our kitchen table has been off limits for eating meals for nearly two months. It has been serving as a staging area for the construction of the mosaic. My husband, the chef in our household, deserves a trophy for his patience at losing his kitchen table to an art project that seemingly had no end. Well, honey, you're just hours away from getting it back.

So here's the finished product:

The next step is locating trim that will match or be compatible with the existing trim on the coffee table. I'm pretty sure we can find something that will work. So a trip to one of the big box home improvement stores is on next week's agenda. Meanwhile, multiple coats of clear satin varnish will be applied, which will make this mosaic tabletop pretty much impervious to moisture and other hazards.

If I change my mind about using it on the coffee table for some reason, it can always double as a large piece of art for the area over the fireplace. But given the size of the piece, and the hours and hours and hours it took to create, if I do opt to replace it with a mosaic something else, that "something else" is going to be made with glass or ceramic tiles this time around. It could be made in a lot less time!

Text and image Copyright 2018 Lynn Edwards



No comments:

Post a Comment