Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How to Make Zentangle Inspired Paper Beads

If, like me, you love Zentangles, why not wear jewelry that reflects that passion? Making beads like these is very relaxing and lots of fun.

It Starts with Doodling...

Zentangle art is a form of doodling that produces repetitive patterns. First introduced by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, Zentangles have been embraced by artists all over the world as a wonderful outlet for their creative energies. I just love making Zentangle style art. I could doodle Zentangle forms all day long. It's very meditative and calming. When it occurred to me that applying my doodled patterns to paper beads would result in eye catching jewelry, I could hardly wait to try it. So I got busy, and here's the result:

Love those crisp black and white patterns!

How to make them:


1. To make the doodles I used a black permanent fine tip artist's pen. (Mine was a Pitt Artist's Pen.) I drew my designs onto text weight white paper, then cut the paper into 1/2" wide strips. Then I glued them to rolled paper bases made from acid free card stock.

2. To make the defining black edges I used a small rigger brush and Carbon Black fluid acrylic. (Some folks dip their bead ends in paint but I find hand painting them to be less nerve wracking. Weird, I know.)

3. The final step was sealing each bead with ModPodge, followed by gloss varnish once the ModPodge was thoroughly dry.

Now the little rascals are sitting on my work table awaiting transformation into a finished piece of jewelry. Check back next week to see how it turns out. I'll also be posting a variation on this concept with a boho/tribal look!

Text and image ©2014 Lynn Edwards



No comments:

Post a Comment