Saturday, April 11, 2015

Spray Paint: Magic in a Can

Ever feel like you're in a whirlwind? I do. The past couple of weeks have been filled with frenetic activity as Hubs and I prepare to dive into some major home improvement projects. One includes turning our screen porch into a three season room. Along with that, I've vowed to make our front porch look more welcoming and attractive.

Because today was actually sunny and clear for once (!!!) with only a light breeze, I took advantage of these ideal conditions and went crazy with the spray paint. I spray painted two large wicker chairs and a wicker plant stand. The chairs, formerly dark-stained and drab, are now a crisp white. The plant stand -- originally dull brown with ugly black trim -- was transformed with a dreamy shade of pale blue. Holding a lush Boston fern, it'll be the quintessential Southern porch accent.

More wicker pieces still remain to be painted: a sofa, a glass topped side table and a glass topped coffee table. For those items I'll need to buy more spray paint. Starting Monday, the rain is supposed to return and be with us for at least a week. Plenty of time to shop for the paint. As soon as another calm, sunny day comes along, I'll be all set to break out the Rust-o-leum, Krylon and Valspar. I absolutely love the stuff. It's magic in a can.

Spray paint and upcycling/rehabbing go hand-in-hand. All these wicker pieces were thrift shop finds from Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul. The chairs, sofa, plant stand, and two glass topped tables cost just $200 total. Throw in $25 worth of spray paint on top of that. My kind of decorating -- fast, fun and on the cheap!

©2015 Lynn Edwards





No comments:

Post a Comment