Saturday, October 8, 2016

Who's Afraid of Blue?

I learn something new every day. This past week, in a conversation with my doctor, I found out there are people who have phobias about colors. Fear of the color blue, for example, is known as cyanophobia. Cyanophobia has its own medical code number, as do phobias regarding red, orange, green...every color on the color wheel, it would seem. (The fear of color in general is called chromophobia.)

I can't help but wonder how a fear of blue, say, or purple, develops. Perhaps a very traumatic event in early childhood triggers a lasting, deep seated fear. For example, I'm guessing a young child might become frightened of a particular color if something in his or her environment is that color, and that environment suddenly proves threatening or even terrifying. Such as a would be kidnapper attempting unsuccessfully to pull a child into a blue car. This is conjecture on my part because I haven't has a chance to research this, but a scenario like that would seem plausible. I'm very curious about this subject and am planning to look into it further. Do any readers have any experience with chromophobia?? If so, maybe you would be willing to share some information about it with us. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment