Thursday, March 16, 2017

Having Fun with Color Cards

It started innocently enough. I had dozens of ultra fine point Sharpie markers and a cute little pad of 4x6 watercolor sheets. So naturally, I just had to see what I could make with them! Below are some of the results.

I made these with the idea of trying out different color combinations just to see how well different colors worked together. My thought was to use them as color reference cards for future works.

©2017 Lynn Edwards

©2017 Lynn Edwards

©2017 Lynn Edwards

©2017 Lynn Edwards
©2017 Lynn Edwards

This little exercise yielded some pleasant surprises. For example, the last card had colors in it that bore no relation to the other colors whatsoever. It's the only card in the bunch where I used some new gel pens in addition to the Sharpies. I was trying out these gel pens for the first time, pulling colors from the pack of 24 willy nilly just to see how they looked and performed on paper.

Normally I wouldn't use pale yellow, copper, ultramarine blue, purple, baby blue, orange, dark teal, peach and mint green together in a million years. But when these unlikely hues were thrown together, as shown here, this offbeat "soup"somehow worked. Now I'm thinking I might try choosing colors blindfolded just to see how many more weird but viable pairings I can come up with. If they look good together in a 4x6 inch format, it will be fun to try them out on a much larger scale. So stay tuned, more adventure lies ahead! And if you've experimented with unusual color combinations, I'd love to hear what you did and what the results were.

Text and images ©2017 Lynn Edwards





No comments:

Post a Comment