Sunday, December 11, 2016

Dumb Decisions and Drugs: A Cautionary Tale

It may be crazy, but I've decided to make, entirely by hand, my own holiday cards this year. A more sensible person would create one master copy, reproduce it in digital form, use it to assemble the cards, mail them and have plenty of time left over to go drink peppermint milkshakes at Chick-fil-A.

But nooooo.......mine must be individually crafted. One of a kind. Totally handmade. Every. Single. One.
It's amazing how much time it takes to make a simple card like this one..
This stupid impulse exciting self-challenge was prompted by an agreement on my side of the family that this year we would not exchange gifts. I confess this new arrangement was actually a relief. Shopping for and shipping gifts consumes a lot of time and energy. And energy has been in short supply recently as I recovered from a serious knee injury that made walking almost impossible for more than ten weeks.

So as I stared at the ceiling and downed painkillers, the idea to make my own cards took hold in my brain. (It must have been the drugs. Clearly my rational thought process was severely impaired.)

So far I've made seven. There are "only" 30 or 40 still to go. What the heck was I thinking????!!!!! 
If you catch me slinking off to Staples, you'll know where I'll be headed after that. Christmas isn't Christmas without a peppermint milkshake.
 
Text and image ©2016 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment