Friday, December 16, 2016

A Surprise at the Back of the Drawer

You know that TV ad that asks, "What's in your wallet?" Well, maybe it should be changed to, "What's at the back of your artwork flat file?" Earlier today I was poking through a drawer I use to store small unframed works when I came across this 8x8 inch collage:

"Down the Drain," acrylic and collage on 140# watercolor paper.  ©2016 Lynn Edwards

I had done it this past summer, then tossed it in the drawer and completely forgot about it. When I pulled it out today, a title for it suddenly popped into my head. "Down the Drain" seems to fit it well, don't you think? The spirals and circles suggest the movement of water to me, along with those wavy blue lines at the bottom. Though you probably can't see them easily, the dark blue areas have what look like teeny water drops -- the result of applying a salt wash.

So, what's in your art storage cabinet?  Is it artwork? Or are the drawers stuffed with supplies you'll never get around to using? (Confession time: my entire studio is bulging with stuff I'll never need, even if I make it to 100.) Even so, check the drawers you use for art storage every once in a while. You may find nothing but dried up erasers, but then again, you may find a long forgotten piece of art. I'm thinking it would be a good idea if I looked in my storage cabinet more often!

And what did I do with this little collage? I've just listed it for sale in my Etsy shop.

Text and image ©2016 Lynn Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment