Thursday, July 31, 2014

Come Join Us at Marietta's First Friday Art Walk

Come enjoy some awesome art at tomorrow night's First Friday Art Walk on the Square in Marietta! The Square's dynamic art scene now draws people from all over the metro area for these Walks, held from 5 to 9 p.m. If you're among them, be sure to stop by 2 Rules Fine Art. At 2 Rules you can browse paintings, pottery, jewelry, artful decor items and more by 30+ artists, including myself.
 
As a special treat, from 6 to 8 p.m. at 2 Rules, artist Stanford Ashcroft will demonstrate how he creates paintings using razor blades.

This is a demo that's not to be missed. Some of the most interesting works I've ever seen were painted solely with unconventional tools: kitchen implements, hair picks, rubber bands, kid's foam toys, and cotton twine, for example. The results are often unexpected, which is what draws so many of us to this method. It's the unpredictable nature of it that's so irresistible.

There's a certain sense of freedom that comes from applying paint with tools other than a brush. The process is usually looser, more spontaneous and somehow more personal. Actually, it's just downright fun. When I visit galleries I seek out paintings created this way because I find them to be incredibly engaging. And I really enjoy painting in this manner myself. Thorny Issue, shown below, is a piece I did sans brushes. It was painted in acrylic using only my hands. I've never tried painting with razor blades, though, so I'm curious to see how Stanford does it. I'm sure it will be extremely interesting. I hope you'll join us!

2 Rules is located at 85 Church St. in Marietta. For more information call 404-355-6897.

"Thorny Issue," an acrylic painting on paper. The paint was applied using only  my hands.
Text and image ©2014 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment