Saturday, July 4, 2015

Painting Up a Storm

I have a thing for painting everything in sight: woodwork, bookcases, decor accents, furniture -- you name it. My mother is the same way, so I guess the apple falls not far from the tree. So enamored we are of transforming our respective home environs with paint that we've been nicknamed "The Krylon Girls" by other members of the family.

These past three months there have been a number of painting projects on my agenda as Hubs and I had the exterior of the house landscaped, and then had our screened porch converted into a three season room. All this home improvement had me doing lots of painting, since I'm a terrible perfectionist who'd rather go for a root canal than sub out the work to someone else. (None of these projects included the paintings in various stages of completion in my studio, mind you. Those are in a different category altogether, and do not involve latex paint!)

Anyway, here are just a few of the projects that have kept me busy for the past several weeks -- and somewhat neglectful of updating this blog:

Remember these?? I wasn't sure how I'd use them until....
It occurred to me they'd do a good job camouflaging an old utility box that was a real eyesore.
I painted this adorable little table that we inherited from my hubby's grandmother. Originally stained dark brown with a broken top, it now does colorful duty as an accent table on the sunporch. I also painted the old carpenter's bench in front of the wicker sofa. It makes a nice coffee table.
 
This chair and another just like it were being used in the breakfast room, but now the pair has been moved out to the sunporch and given a new look, below....
I had just barely enough fabric left over from the sofa cushions to recover the two chair seats.

Another chair, found at a thrift shop, received a coat of bright lime green paint. The woven seat was falling apart so I turned it into a planter that sits in front of my studio. Love that lime green and purple combo!


Oh, and I also completely repainted all of the woodwork on the porch in advance of the enclosure installation. But I'm not done yet! Still on my to-do list is repainting a glass top table that we're using for dining out on the porch. Meals taken out there are delightful, but I will enjoy them even more when I can treat that table to a lovely coat of fresh white paint!

Text and images ©2015 Lynn Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment