Saturday, March 15, 2014

Three Good Reasons to Make Your Own Beads

Making your own beads is so rewarding. If you make your own, you'll be able to create truly one of a kind beads you'll never see in a bead store or supply catalog.

 ©2014 Lynn Edwards

Buyers love artistic jewelry

Handmade beads have a lot going for them. Nothing can substitute for their authentic, artistic quality. This is a strong selling point with buyers. I think people who like to buy handmade jewelry value it because they have a keen appreciation for an artist's skill and creative vision. They want to wear art jewelry that's distinctive and unique and carries something of the maker's spirit or persona. Those qualities are missing in the mass produced designs sold in major retail stores.

These days I find myself making more beads by hand than ever before. Lately I've been making pieces like the one in the photo, completed just yesterday. It utilizes a single large handmade focal bead, accented by seed beads, barrel beads and glass rounds. But I also make necklaces that call for whole sets of handmade beads. These consist of five to nine large beads (for 20-24" strung necklaces) and several smaller matching beads for the coordinating earrings or bracelets.

Chill

Making beads is a satisfying, relaxing activity. Much of it is repetitive motion, and there's little if any stress to it. It's rather meditative, actually. So not only is bead making good for keeping your creativity going strong, it's good for your body and mind as well. It's very calming and then of course there's that nice sense of accomplishment when you step back and survey your handiwork. When someone loves your work and wants to buy it, that's a great feeling, too.

Contain yourself

A third reason to make your own beads is cost containment. The focal bead pictured above would be pretty expensive to buy, even at wholesale. By producing it myself I have only a modest investment in materials. It's the time I must invest in its creation that's significant here. The first bead I made in this series took over three hours to complete. With practice I'm getting faster: this one took about two hours. I've now figured out some ways to streamline the process. So I expect to turn these focal beads out much faster as I implement those changes and naturally get better with practice.

Are you ready to make some beads? If so, don't miss my next several posts, in which I'll be showing you a variety of techniques and step-by-steps that will enable you to make beads that are uniquely YOU!

Text and image ©2014 Lynn Edwards





No comments:

Post a Comment